World Football Fiasco
Today's weekend wrapup can be heard by listening to my podcast which you can link to above!
- 1954: One of the most famous baseball marriages is made…Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe. Nine months later it was over.
- 1973: The only perfect season in the history of the NFL comes to a close with a win by the Miami Dolphins over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII as Miami wins every regular season game, playoff game, and the NFL title.
- 1974: One of many fledgling professional football leagues is formed, the World Football League. It would not last long.
- 1976: The Atlanta Braves are now officially owned by Ted Turner
- 1985: Up until this year, only two professional tennis players had won 100 tournaments. Martina Navratilova becomes the third.
- 1990: The NFL record for playoff touchdowns in the NFL is broken by Joe Montana as he gets numbers 30 and 31 passing the old record of 30 set by Terry Bradshaw.